Sugar withdrawal: How to combat addiction and stop it now?
More than cocaine withdrawal, sugar acts on your body like a drug, has been shown in an experiment showed that the rat has an addiction to sugar more than cocaine.
So how to get out of the habit of sugar, how to feel less and less like it? Here we explain why refined sugar has become a real enemy to health. Follow the guide to learn how to eat less sugar, in short how to detoxify yourself!
You have cravings, impulses, sweet cravings and you would like to control them better?
You’re right, because you should know that the more sugar you eat, the more you’ll crave it.
First of all, it is important to understand why you have these cravings. I’ll give you a few tips on how to deal with your sweet cravings!
In any case, it is important to keep in mind that refined sugar is nowadays the primary cause of many illnesses related to our lifestyle. Diabetes, rising cholesterol, obesity, lowered immune system, cancer…
Sugar calls sugar
- The body is not designed to eat refined sugars.
- After you eat something sweet, your blood sugar raises (= blood sugar level) abnormally high.
- If the blood sugar level rises too high, it becomes dangerous and insulin hormone will be produced.
- Insulin lowers the blood sugar level.
- The sweeter you eat, the higher the insulin dose and the lower your blood sugar will be (this process is called reactive hypoglycemia).
- The reactive hypoglycemia is the feel a sudden surge of energy and craving, a compulsive craving for sugar following consuming sugar by a few hours.
- So just memorize that sugar calls for sugar!
Little reminder: where is the sugar?
In candy, sweets and cakes, you know that!
In sodas, alcoholic drinks, fruit juices. Right, fruit naturally contains sugar, so don’t forget it.
In puffed rice cakes, dark chocolate, fruit yoghurts, dessert creams, ice creams, breakfast cereals (real sugar bombs!), chocolate powder…
And in a wide range of industrial foods, such as steaks from your fast-food restaurant, sandwich loaves, ready-made meals, etc.
An example: in your hamburger, you will find sugar in the composition of the bread, in the sauce (ketchup, sweet mustard, barbecue sauce), sometimes even in the meat if it does not come from a real butcher.
Top 6 tips you must follow to reduce your sugar intake
As you will have understood, it is important to stay away from refined and processed products.
The journey of withdrawal will be difficult, which will have to be done in stages in order not to “explode” psychologically.
Here is the best advice to get rid of excess sugar consumption:
- Reduce your intake of simple carbohydrates Gradually(soft drinks, sweets, refined cereals).
- try right complex carbohydrates and fiber intake(whole grains, legumes, fruits).
- try to have a detox which will help you enormously in weaning. If you really feel the need, prefer to eat a little sweet product at the end of the meal (a fresh fruit, more filling and less sweet than a compote).
- You may often ask what I think about sugar substitutes, especially sweeteners.
- Stay as far away from them as possible, especially from aspartame, which, despite the claims of some American authorities, is harmful to health.
- Avoid light products!
- Some coachees complained that they could not manage to lose or stabilize their weight due to using light products.
- the studies of their cases realize that these same people were big consumers of sweeteners and light products.
- If these products contain no or very few calories, they send the same responses as sugar to the body. They leave the storage doors wide open and feed the sweetness addiction.
Conclusively, all sugar intake should be reduced as much as possible, moreover, if you can’t, you can use natural sweeteners such as stevia or agave syrup.